Skip to content
Follow these steps to resolve this error if restarting doesn't work:
- Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
- Type REGEDIT in the Open: field and click OK.
- You may get a message asking “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” Click Yes.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- Click Desktop on left side of screen.
- In the File name field, type REGBACKUP and click Save.
- On left side of Registry Editor window, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then expand SYSTEM.
- Expand ControlSet001.
- You may also have a 002 or 003. Start with 001.
- Expand Control.
- Scroll down, locate, and expand the Session Manager folder.
- On right side of screen, find the file titled PendingFileRenameOperations.
- Right-click on PendingFileRenameOperations, then choose Delete. Click Yes to confirm deletion.
- Repeat steps 7-11 for ConstrolSet002 and ControlSet003, if present.
- The PendingFileRenameOperations file may not be present for ConstrolSet002 and ControlSet003. If not, continue to step 13.
- Close Registry Editor window.
- Try the installation or update again.