Seizing FSMO Roles Using the Command Line
Note: It is not possible to seize FSMO roles using the graphical interface.
- At an elevated command prompt on a working DC, type ntdsutil.
- Type roles.
- Type connection.
- Type connect to server <DC_name>, where <DC_name> is the name of the DC that will inherit the role.
- Type quit once.
- Type one of the following, depending on the role being seized:
PDC Emulator: seize pdc
Infrastructure Master: seize infrastructure master
RID Master: seize rid master
Domain Naming Master: seize naming master
Schema Master: seize schema master
- Confirm that you wish to seize the role. There will be a considerable amount of output. The last line should indicate that the role has been seized.
- Type quit until you have exited Ntdsutil.